Forms & Documents
The following are select forms and documents that are available for download by clicking on the item. Please call the Town Clerk/Treasurer at 540-364-4945 if additional information is needed.
To conduct a business in the Town of The Plains a Business License is required.
- Business License Application - Contact the Town Clerk/Treasurer for a current application form. A 2019 Business Licence is currently posted for your use in the News & Update section of this website.
An approved Zoning Permit or Zoning letter or Approval minutes is needed to accompany most Business License Appications or Building Permit Applications. The first step is to fill out this Zoning & Sign Permit Applicaiton and send it to the Town Office:
Planning, Zoning and Subdivision
- Comprehensive Plan - Reviewed and reinstated by the Planning Commission & Town Council in 2014
- Currently being reviewed and updated by the Planning Commission in 2017
- Traffic Calming Policies - Adopted by the Planning Commission & Town Council in 2014
- 2017 Zoning Ordinance Documents: Official Zoning Ordinance & Zoning Maps. Please call or e-mail the Town Office for copies. Copies are $25.00 each. Send payment to the Town Clerk/Treasurer.
- Fauquier County provides building inspections for the Town of The Plains. Before applying for a building permit with Fauquier County an approved Zoning Permit is needed. The Zoning Permit may also be used as application for any signs to be installed within the town. Improvements,including sighs, within the Historic District require additional review and approvals from the Architectural Review Board (ARB).